You may put your faith and trust in fiberglass, but how long does fiberglass insulation last? When it comes to insulation, it’s best not to take guesses. You want to protect your house while keeping the energy bills down.
But you won’t be able to do so if your insulation doesn’t work as expected. So, aside from paying detailed attention to your insulation, you should also understand its condition and care.
How Long Does Fiberglass Insulation Last?
Is fiberglass insulation durable? To answer that question, you should know that fiberglass is made from fiber and glass. This kind of fiber is made from glass and applied for many applications and usages. Not only this tough and durable material is used in home improvement projects, but you can also find it in other products, like tent poles, shower curtains, roofing products, and also car parts.
Rumor has it that fiberglass can last a lifetime. In general, it can last at least 80 years and up to 100 years. However, you should know that nothing lasts forever, and it also applies to fiberglass.
No matter how tough and sturdy it is, it will deteriorate over time. The condition gets worse when there are some elements or factors that intervene with the longevity of the material.
When to Check the Insulation
Before you are wondering how long fiberglass insulation last, you should also check the insulation if you spot these signs:
- You see water damage, typically resulting from burst pipes or roof leak
- Mold growth. It usually happens as the result of the air leaks
- Dirt and debris
- Puncture or damage
- Wind washing
- Rodent, insect, and other possible pests activities
Moreover, you should be aware that your utility bill is increasing quite significantly. This may be caused by poor insulation that has lost its effectiveness. It also means that you need to replace the old insulation with a new one.
In short, you should always be cautious and aware of the situation. When there is something off, immediately check for any sign of trouble. You may be able to save up a lot of money if you detect the possibility of issues earlier.
What Are the Disadvantages of Using Fiberglass Insulation?
Fiberglass does have its own perks, such as its eco-friendly nature, flexibility, and noise-canceling effectiveness. However, you should also be prepared for the downsides.
- Coverage. Fiberglass is usually coming in pre-cut panels, which can be difficult when it comes to coverage. You will have to struggle when dealing with crannies or odd shapes for the installation.
- Moisture. Fiberglass has good fire retardant quality, but when it comes to moisture, it’s not really impressive. In fact, fiberglass isn’t an effective moisture-repellent material. It is prone to mildew ad mold.
- Air exchange. Fiberglass isn’t as dense as other materials, which makes it not very effective when dealing with air leaks. You need to figure out a way to have the airtight seal.
- Mold. Fiberglass can soak up moisture, which creates a perfect breeding environment for spores. When it happens, you need to replace it right away because it will compromise the overall structure of the insulation.
How Often Should Insulation Be Replaced?
Different people may have different opinions about how often the insulation should be replaced. Some people may say that a decade would be an ideal time, while others say that two decades will be the right option. In general, 15 to 20 years would be the most ideal time to do the replacement.
However, this time window doesn’t apply when there is damage to the insulation. If the insulation has somewhat been compromised, you need to replace it right away.
In the end, make sure that the insulation is intact and it functions well. You seriously don’t want to compromise the entire structure and the safety of your family. Now that you already know the answer to how long does fiberglass insulation last, you can make the right decision.